Monday, February 19, 2007

Interview with Wow Creator: Grammar Girl, Mignon Fogarty


Mignon Fogarty, aka the Grammar Girl, took her podcast to #1 on iTunes in January 2007! Giving the world on-target grammar advice, she's become quite a celebrity in the world of podcasts. As such, I'm thrilled to have had the opportunity to interview Mignon about her success. Anyone interested in podcasting has much to learn from this savvy young woman.

Here's an excerpt from that interview:

CreateAWow: Can anyone start their own podcast? What advice or resources would you recommend for someone who wants to learn how to create podcasts
?

Grammar Girl: I do think that anyone can start their own podcast as long as they have the time and desire to read up on all the tools that are avaiable.

When I started my initial podcast, Absolute Science, I knew a lot about web technology and new media, but I didn't know anything about audio technology. I just started Googling around about podcasting and hanging out in podcasting forums like the Podcast Pickle where I picked up a lot of great tips and found people who could answer my questions when I got stuck. I started with free software programs and inexpensive microphones and headphones that I already owned and then upgraded my equipment as I became more serious about podcasting. So by the time I started Grammar Girl, I knew what I was doing and hit the ground running. After it became clear there were a lot of people listening, I felt more of a responsibility to make the sound quality as good as I possibly could, so I've upgraded more of my equipment and continue to tweak my set up.

CreateAWow: What were some of the milestones along the way? Pivotal points where you saw impressive growth in your listener base?

Grammar Girl: Getting featured at iTunes the first time created a big traffic spike. After that, the growth was solid and steady until the show was featured on CNN.com -- that caused traffic to grow about 50% overnight.

For the complete interview, go here.

No comments:

Slideshow